The transition from preschool to Kindergarten is an important life event! Do you have concerns about your child’s readiness?
Take a look at this list of skills that are required at the beginning of Kindergarten (source: Scholastic). If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us and we can help!
- Identify some letters of the alphabet
- Grip a pencil, crayon, or marker correctly (with the thumb and forefinger supporting the tip)
- Use scissors, glue, paint, and other art materials with relative ease
- Write his first name using upper- and lowercase letters, if possible
- Play independently or focus on one activity with a friend for up to ten minutes
- Repeat his full name, address, phone number, and birthday
- Recognize some common sight words, like “stop”
- Listen to a story without interrupting
- Bounce a ball
- Manage bathroom needs
- Dress himself
- Follow directions
- Clean up after himself
- Separate from parents easily
- Count to 10
See our event flyer for more information on our Kindergarten prep classes. Contact us at (973) 507-9730 with any questions or to register.